April 11, 2011

Compost Your Scraps!

I have 2 composts while living in an apartment.
I have this silver little one that stays on the floor by
the trash can. and a 2nd one... a metal bucket with a
lid from Ikea.com which is bigger but still small enough
for an apartment.

I started one in the winter, by simply taking soil from
3-4 old plants that had died from freezing from being
on my balcony. And I started to add raw scraps from food.
The most common things that go into my compost are-
carrot & potato peels, egg shells, tea bags, coffee grinds,
onions skins and fruits that might go bad.
My soil in these composts have turned the soil very dark,
rich and healthy... I'm just waiting to get some plants to use my
recycled soil that is full of nutrients.... hmmm what
kind of herbs should I plant....?

Just make sure your bucket has a lid. A lid that will be
tightly sealed. There are many different types of composts...
for example some people actually buy bugs/worms to add
so the vegetation breaks down even more quickly...
I've found that you don't have to do that... just make
sure your lid is closed on your bucket and leave it alone...
just take a little shovel and mix the soil after about
2-3 weeks of decay. Don't be surprised when you take a
sneak peak in a week or so... just remember the soil is breaking
down and the food and it is decaying.