March 12, 2012

Basil Greenhouse = FRESHER & LONGER

Nothing is better than adding fresh herbs when you are cooking food or making a drink.
It adds a more vibrant and flavorful kick to your food along with looking fresher
and prettier.... blah blah blah, we already know this right?

I've often had the problem with some herbs not lasting as long as I'd like.
As I was catching up on my dvr- I came across an episode of Rachael Ray and
the tip was to make a little green house of your herbs especially basil.


I bought this basil and normally after about 2 days if I'm lucky- they would wilt in the refrigerator.
The tip was to trim the bottom stem, like you would to fresh cut flowers and then place them in a mug/cup
or vase and then simply place a zip lock bag over it from the top keeping the bag unzipped.


You can see how it creates a greenhouse like space for the basil. You can just keep this on your kitchen counter or table and it will last waaaay longer.  The picture on the bottom is after a week!
I can now make margherita pizza and make a caprese salad with the SAME bundle of basil in
a 10-14 day period without having to toss the dried and wilted leaves. So far I've only tried this with
Basil, Parsley and Cilantro.


 This is the basil with the bag removed....now, is that fresh basil or what?
(and don't be clever and say what.)