October 16, 2011

Back To The Roots....yo


As a kid, I didn't really enjoy mushrooms. They were kind of
squishy and they didn't taste so good.  But, like many things,
as we grow older and try things over again... we become aware,
and start to enjoy things that we might not have as a child.

I didn't enjoy sushi, Indian food and mussels to name just a few- as a kid either
but, I now enjoy these food items....  maybe too much.
(I always think it's mostly psychological anyway)

So, I came across this mushroom growing kit and reminiscing about my childhood
and having multiple veggie gardens- I thought it would be so much fun to grow
mushrooms out of the box. Yay!  So I purchased this "Back to the Roots"  mushroom
growing kit.  I followed the directions of soaking it, and spraying it and babying it... etc
and on day 7-ish.... this is what started to grow!


Inside the Oyster mushroom growing bag is coffee grinds which is kind of interesting.
Because of my excitement... I babied the mushrooms. Days later more did grow....


Unfortunately, my mushrooms only grew to this extent rather than the full opening of the box
that it was supposed to- along with the other side as a second batch- but, there must of been
something I did wrong...?  My excitement wore off quickly and I decided even though oyster
mushrooms are more expensive than regular button mushrooms- buying already grown
mushrooms are the way to go rather than the very expensive "Back to the Roots" box.
Thanks for the experience Back to the Roots and the Groupon  I got it through!