October 11, 2011

Shrimp & Ginger Dimsum

Steamed shrimp and ginger dumplings. Yum.
I enjoy dumplings quite a bit and this pretty easy recipe
is my go-to recipe for steamed shrimp dumplings, aka dim sum.
Dim sum being the traditional Chinese dumpling.  Whereas
Mandu is the Korean word for dumpling... along with each countries
own dumpling, ie: Shu mai (Vietnamese), Tortellini or even ravioli (Italian),
Samosa (Indian),  Gyoza (Japanese), Pierogis (Polish), Momo (Nepalese),
and so many more... some say that the American dumpling is the
"Hot Pocket" www.hotpockets.com.  hmmmm  not really. 

First start off with some raw shrimp (cleaned and de-veined of course) 
and an equal amount of ground pork. (I tend to do 1/3 ground pork and 2/3 shrimp at times)


The rest of the filling is simply chopped cilantro, garlic and grated ginger.
(I usually leave the already peeled ginger in the freezer in a zip lock bag so
that it doesn't dry out and go bad as quickly as it seems to in the refrigerator)
When I grate ginger this way- it grates a lot better as well.


I toast the garlic in a pan. (This is the secret to bringing out the flavor in steamed shrimp
dumplings)   It is does make a HUGE difference in toasting the garlic and with just
mixing the garlic- untoasted.


Next, I usually use a hand blender and blend the shrimp down and then add the ground pork,
and mix into the bowl- the toasted garlic, chopped cilantro and grate in some ginger.
I go heavy on the ginger. (maybe an inch and half or so). I add a drizzle of soy sauce,
about 2 or 3 TBSP of Hoisin Sauce and a few drops if sesame oil.

I then fold them, and steam them in my bamboo steamer. 
I usually lay the dumplings on lettuce in the bamboo basket to prevent sticking.


After 7-9 minutes you will notice the dumplings getting a little more pliable and
almost translucent. That's when they are done!