March 24, 2012

Crescent rolls are SO last year.

Whether it's Pillsbury or a generic brand, we've all seen, had, made, eaten, loved the crescent rolls.
I got tired and bored of the crescent shaped roll just like the plain ole edamames.

I had a "seven years" moment a few weeks ago while making apple pie with my momma.
I added star shaped pieces to cover the apple pie rather than using a pie top/crust.

With that same idea I have since evolved the crescent roll into that same buttery tasting rolls
but into a larger loaf but bite size at the same time. Kind of ironic, I know, larger loaf but bite size?

Let me show you!
Take the can of crescent dough and open it. (Opening THAT CAN will be the hardest part of these rolls)


You'll notice that they are cut into triangles ready to roll into crescents. Ignore the pre-cut lines and
just roll them into quick little balls. I've found that each triangle gives 3 perfect size little balls.


The next part is the BE CREATIVE and cultivating part. Simply make it your own by adding
whatever you like. I usually make it with a sprinkle of garlic powder and drop a handful of
shredded Parmesan cheese. This time around,  I had a ridiculous amount of chives in
the refrigerator so I decided to add a little chopped up chives into the little balls.
You literally add the rolled balls into an oven safe dish and throw your
seasonings/cheese/herbs/whatever on top.
Bake it in the oven for about 15 or so minutes on about 350.


About 15 or so minutes later.... TA-DA!  Warm, browned little balls into one larger roll/loaf.
These are so people friendly and share-able as you can very easily pull each little ball piece off.
It's almost impossible to have any left-over.


You can get even more creative by cutting them out with little cookie cutters. 
reativity can be endless along with things to put in it... 
shredded Gouda, pepper jack, craisins, herbs, roasted garlic pieces,
slivered nuts, cooked, diced apples....