September 27, 2012

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon & Shiitakes

I know brussel sprouts in America are known as the yucky vegetable.
When my mom and I first saw them waaaaay back in the day a million years ago---
we thought and said, oh how cute, baby cabbage.

I've come a long way since then and love cooking and eating brussel sprouts as a side dish.
They are just like cabbage being thicker than other veggies despite their little size.

I usually boil or steam them first.  Once they are softened a little,
I drizzle a little olive oil in the pan and add some sliced up bacon.

The bacon gets crispy and gives the sprouts a good flavor.
I threw some sliced shittake mushrooms in there and sauteed them all together.
You can eat this as a side dish with a steak, grilled chicken or fish.
You could also throw some shrimp or tofu in there and make it more of
a meal rather than a side dish as well.