January 3, 2013

Ravioli Lasagna in ONE

When the new Wegmans in KOP opened, there were many things that were free!....
....including frozen items.  I seldom buy frozen things simply because we have access to
fresh things most of the entire year. So after a little winter cleaning of the freezer I
remembered having a package of  little 5 cheese raviolis.

I also had taught an Italian style cooking class and had some fresh mozzarella cheese on hand.
I wanted to use up the ravioli but also kind of wanted some lasagna as well---so it hit me and I
decided that I wanted to try and make ravioli and lasagna....together... BOTH!
Why not... it's kind of like double duty!?!!



Because the ravioli wasn't hand made from scratch---this entree took no time to make!
I took one medium onion, sliced it up and sauteed it with some olive oil.
Once the onions had cooked down I added a small can of diced tomatoes along with
salt, pepper and some dried basil seasoning.


I started the bottom of an oven-safe pan with the onion and tomato mixture.
I then added the mini raviolis that I boiled in a pot of hot water for about 7 minutes.



Next was the fresh mozzarella that I cut in half. Although I said this was ravioli lasagna---
You can see how it's not layered like a traditional lasagna.


I then made another layer of the onion & tomato mixture, then ravioli followed by cheese
and another sprinkle of the dried basil seasoning along with some Panko bread crumbs to top it off.  


Lastly, I baked it in the oven on 350 for about 20 minutes or basically until your cheese is melted.
So 2 Italian favorites in one! Bellissimo!


You know how traditional lasagna is better the next day once everything has settled...?
Well, this ravioli lasagna was both good right when it was made and the next day as well!

Zestfully, Let's Cultivate Food