October 20, 2011

Sapporo Ichiban & Jin Ramyon

These 2 brands and flavors were my favorite ramen noodles. I've definitely
had my share of these, and yes, the  mild flavored.  A cousin of mine used
to make fun of me back in the day because I would be the only Korean ordering
fried rice as my main entree from a Chinese restaurant.
These days, I wouldn't pay for let alone order fried rice as my main and only entree.

Almost every Asian child knows how to cook Ramen noodles, not that it's so difficult
but, you've got to put an egg in it and everyone has their little garnishes they like to add
whether it's hot dog slices for some, fish cakes, scallions, kimchi of course (if you're Korean)
among other things that people add or some- just eat it plain....... and dry!  Dry? Huh?.....
It's a crazy world out there!

Now, a teeny, little bit of history.... it's still up for debate whether Ramen (Japanese word)
came from Lamien (Chinese hand pulled noodles) or not and it's a question of when.
Cheaper flour was imported from the USA to Japan after World War 2 and that's when ramen
noodles , all kinds of noodles started to emerge.
Momofuku Ando, a Taiwanese-Japanese chairman of Nissin Foods (not Nissan the car)
invented instant noodles around 1958. He invented the idea of making noodles dry so that
they can be cooked in boiling water at a later point.  In the early 1980s is when ramen noodles
really became almost like a cultural icon in the US and around the world.

I will end my post with that... I hesitated to talk about the negatives and the lab experiments
etc with Ramen noodles but... this is a food blog..... let's end with....  moderation is a good practice!